Sunday 30 November 2014

Global warming: Can I, as an individual, really matter?

Global warming:  Can I, as an individual, really matter?

Do I matter? This is a hard question, no matter what answer is given, and it won’t please everyone. It is a question that I personally find hard to answer. I have heard arguments from both sides, and both present valid arguments. I remember in my first year of university, and I was approached by someone in the street preaching about green peace, I am not going to lie but my response was along the lines of one person isn’t going to change a lot. I would like to say that over the last 3 years that my opinion has change slightly, and that I am partial doing my part.

It has been reported that individuals and households in the UK and the US claim a third of all carbon emissions released into the atmosphere (O’Garra, 2012). Although as one we present a third of emissions, how much do I personally emit! O’Garra, (2012) suggests that public ignorance has an important role to play, this is something I agree with. Like having a job, it’s not worth doing if you don’t get anything out of it!

I believe that due to the ignorance of our generation, future generations will suffer because of us. This has come down to very selfish way of thinking and our “right” for a higher standard of living. Pellegrino and Carli have said that an individual does not hold a moral responsibility for global warming, going on to say that the government needs to come up with a realistic way of tackling global warming. From what I have read and heard I believe that global warming and reducing carbon emissions has a bigger following in the UK compared to the US, due to our “right” of a higher standard of living any politician putting carbon foot prints at the top of the agenda wouldn’t last long.   

References

O'Garra. T.. (2012). Individual consumers and climate change: searching for a new moral compass . Centre for Climate Change Economics and Policy. 93

Pellegrino. G., Carli. L. G. (Link Below) 

No comments:

Post a Comment